Re: the attack of the killer frozen dumplings

A mess is a lot of something  --  a mess a' children, a mess a' greens, a mess a' dumplings -- a colloquialism of the south and still heard there in relaxed conversation. It also helps to be 'of an age.'

A frozen dumpling is a dumpling that has been frozen.
A dumpling is lump of bread or biscuit dough that is steamed or boiled, usually to accompany a savory dish, a braise or a stew or soup. Humans have been making dumplings of some sort since they discovered that a cooked paste of pounded grain tasted better and was easier to eat than whole corns. At a guess at least 5000 years. Most cultures have some version or other, simple and rustic or highly refined. The only difference between flat breads and dumplings is the cooking method -- spread your mashed grain on a hot rock and you get a flat bread, cook a lump in liquid and you get a dumpling.

A nutirtional anthopologist could make a better explanation, but that's the short version.

I would also assume the writer to know what he's talking about. He wasn't fresh off the boat after all.

Dan Clinton / Executive Library / Patent & Trademark Office / Washington DC

A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List! To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to listserv@listserv.muohio.edu In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname *or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES To post a message, send e-mail to archives@listserv.muohio.edu Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the web interface at http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt