Reprint request for periodical articles and copyright

Hi.  Copyright is the subject.  We are the archives of a religious order who
published a magazine some years ago. There were authors and editors from
order as well as outside contributors.

Someone is wanting to reprint some of the articles.  It is clear that the
Provincial of the order can give permission on such things as editorials.
Can he also give permission to reprint the articles of the contributors?
Does the copyright for the periodical cover all the articles contained in
it?  Do the articles belong to the magazine or is permission still needed
from the author?  Are there any time limits on this?

I read in a publication on copyright that it lasts 28 years and then can be
renewed for a second 28 years.  Is that the maximum, or can this be renewed
again?  A researcher came not long ago and told me that since something she
was using was over 100 years old, it would no longer be under the copyright
and could be used freely.  Is that true?

Answering any one of these questions will be helpful.  Thanks.

Anita