Re: Reprint request for periodical articles and copyright

We ran into this problem with university publications a number of years
ago.  None of us at the library could agree on who had copyright and the
copyright office webpage didn't make things clearer.  I finally called the
copyright office and they told me that if it was a work for hire, we owned
copyright.  For student publications, it depends on what the students were
told upon submission of their work.  Of course we don't have any written
records of who was told what, if anything.  We finally decided that the
safest thing to do was assume the writer of the article held copyright and
referred our researcher to the individual authors for permission.

Hope this helps!

Beth S. Harris
Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library
P. O. Box 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Hollins University
Roanoke, VA  24020-1000