more dusty archives

I was browsing through "The Sisters," a new biography of the Mitford family
by Mary S. Lovell.  Lovell was apparently given access to many family
papers unavailable to previous biographers.  In her Introduction,
discussing some letters of Jessica Mitford, she says that fortunately these
letters, rather than languishing "in a dusty archives," will be soon
published and thus preserved for posterity.

That seems a strange attitude for a professional biographer, especially one
who relies so heavily on primary sources!  From what I could tell just from
browsing, it looks like she spent more time in private collections than in
archival institutions - but she certainly didn't make that distinction in
labelling archives "dusty" and by implication unused.

Lisa

Lisa May
Archivist
Diocese of Galveston-Houston