Re: CA and Jobs-Which is it Lucinda?

Lucinda,
You wrote that I had "twisted my[Lucind'as] words about the CA being an
unnecessary credential to joke that obviously archives and library
educational credentials, training and years of experience in the field are
seemingly unnecessary credentials to fill the top positions in our two
related fields"
------
I did nothing of the sort Lucinda, and as a careful reading of my message
will show I in fact gave no indication of my own opinion on who should be
hired for the top posts in question.  What I used your own words to do was
show that you ignoring CA as an "unnecessary credential" it seems to me
comes from the same impulse as someone hiring a non archivist or non
librarian for those positions.

A question for you Lucinda: If we Archivists cannot agree on educational
qualifications (MA? MAS? MLS?) or professional certifications (CA or no CA?)
within the profession and present some kind of consensus agreement on what
it takes to do the work in our feld-how could anyone outside the field
making hiring decisions be expected to show understanding of or respect for
credentials?

The question it seems to me is not: Why should and Archivist be certified?
but instead the question is....after all these years operating as the only
universal credential (which supports and encourages graduate education) out
there-originally growing out of the national professional organization for
Archivists-SAA, why doesn't Certification get more support in the field? and
what does the lack of support say about our field?

Tom