Teacher cert. v. CA

Dear List:
I, too, will probably regret this, but I don't mind an occasional exchange of points of view regarding the ACA/CA.

Having been an archivist for (longer than care to remember), I can vividly recall the heated exchanges of the mid-1980s over the certification issue.  Although the train appears to have indeed left the station on this issue, a goodly number of professionals disputed the SAA leadership at the time.  Many felt that the leadership went ahead with the exam plan really without a mandate from the membership.  Many left SAA for awhile feeling betrayed in that they believed that Council ignored the wishes of the  majority in the SAA.  There were assurances at the time that the CA would not be used as a hiring factor...well, we'll still have to see about this, if Lucinda's stats are correct.

I also think there is no question that for those of us a bit long in the tooth (some of us even with braces in middle-age), the CA is less of an issue than it is for talented newbies entering the profession.  The new kids on the block were/are in a bind as far as hiring is concerned.  Many have an advanced degree, but no experience, and many jobs require experience, maybe even a double masters (history/MLS) and pay $19,000 a year even if you do speak Arabic, Hebrew, German or Norwegian!  It's tough for them!

For those who point out that teachers are certified, and that it took, say, "75 years" (I personally have no idea of how long it took), please recall that teachers are certified after receiving several years of intensive subject training, in addition to completing several teaching courses and 6 months (?) or so of student teaching.  This, IMHO, constitutes having successfully completed accredited course work, then receiving the certificate.  As I recall, part of certification is review of achieved and documented credentials, and does not solely rely on a single exam. (Gee, if I got this wrong, here come the flames...)

Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
My opinions are mine, not necessarily those of my employer

Gloria A. Bartowski
State Education Department
New York State Archives
Room 9C73 CEC