Job Hunting Question - Or to CA or not to CA

Hello all,

I have been a lurker for a very long time. And the CA issues I've been
reading about here on the list has raised a question for me that I wanted to
pose here out of some frustration trying to get back into the field I truely
enjoy.

I began my career almost 20 years ago in Records Management. Then changed
over to the Archives field at a high tech company. Eventually, I was given
the opportunity of a lifetime to learn program and project mangement at this
same company. Which I did for 7 yrs. Now I want to return to the Archives
profession feeling good that I have strong technical skills to offer to the
profession. But after missing out on a number of jobs because I have been
away "for too long" according to one interviewer, I am curious, does a CA
really give one leverage over others that do not? I started out studying for
the CA and CRM, but like the CRM, I feel that it is just paper, and does not
really say whether or not the person is really qualified to be an archivist
or records manager.

Over the years, I have stayed on top of whats been going on in both RM and
Archives professions as best as I can, reading up on most of the available
literature as time allows and I believe that I have quite a bit to offer the
field but only if I can get my foot back in the door.

So the question is, will the certification be the only way back in?

back to lurk mode.