Re: Tyvek addendum

Dunno about this one.  I'm not a conservation genius by any stretch, but
based on the following off of the Tyvek homepage:

Tyvek® is made from very fine high-density polyethylene fibers. These fibers
are flashspun, then laid as a web on a moving bed before being bonded
together by heat and pressure. The resulting sheet of material is then
converted for a multitude of uses in envelopes and packaging, construction,
protective garments, medical packaging, graphics, tags and labels.
And, the raw materials for the Tyvek® manufacturing process include recycled
plastic milk and water jugs and similar containers, providing an excellent
reuse of post-consumer materials. To learn more about Tyvek®, a Miracle of
Science(tm) from DuPont, visit tyvek.com <http://www.tyvek.com>.

My concern lies with the chemical processes involved.  Granted many photo
envelopes & the like are made from polyethylene, but there's polyethylene
and then there's polyethylene.
I'd be inclined to get more details on the chemicals and processes involved
before using it.  There may be a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) available
on it from DuPont.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021