Re: Electronic Archive

Jim Beaven wrote:
> If our computers get upgraded and
> new storage mediums are included we would transfer everything to a new
> storage medium then as well.  I.e. (find a computer that has a 5.25 disk
> drive, transfer all files to a 3.5 disk. Noted in the record floppy disk
> 5.25 A, transferred to 3.5 floppy disk entitled 5.25 A-1 with list of all
> documents transferred over.  When it looks like zip will replace 3.5
> floppies in computers have all 3.5 transferred to zip disk)

I would strongly urge archivists to NEVER transfer files to floppies as an archival medium.  The same
could probably be said for zip disks.  It is usually preferable to use an optical storage medium, such
as CD, or a higher capacity magnetic medium such as tape or disk.  Many people are starting to argue
that hard drives are the most cost-effective option in most cases.  Regardless of the medium used, it
is extremely important to practice quality control, periodic refreshment and/or reformatting, maintain
redundant copies (ideally in different locations), and maintain appropriate handling and storage
conditions.

I posted a message to this list a while back that touches on some of these issues:
http://listserv.muohio.edu/SCRIPTS/WA.EXE?A2=ind0109D&L=archives&P=R8126

As for the general issue of what form and format is most appropriate, I think it's a major mistake to
assume that there will be one answer.  With physical materials, we do not assume that ALL records
should be kept on microfilm, microfiche, paper, audio cassette, photo negatives, photo proofs, or
whatever.  Such decisions will come down to priorities and available resources.  What is it about the
originals that needs to be retained?  What technical and human resources are available?

In some cases, only a digital version will do. In others, paper or microfilm will be ideal.  In still
others, one should keep a combination of these media to hedge one's bets and to meet a variety of
possible user needs.

It is important to be extremely clear about what we might mean when saying things such as "All I care
about is the information."  Does the table in which numbers have been placed count as the
information?  How about formulae stored in a spreadsheet?  Page breaks?  Encoding that indicates
whether text is a heading, body text, a footnote, etc.?  Line wrapping?  The appearance of
letterhead?  In-line comments?  Document profile properties assigned by an office application?
Color?  Font?  Linking and embedding between objects?

If you had a typewritten transcript (completely accurate letter-for-letter) of a 19th-century office
document, why would you possibly keep the original?  Is there something about its original form that
helps to convey meaning?  If so, what characteristics of the forms and genres of digital objects play
a similar role?

These are questions we must all ask, relative to our respective missions, resources, collections and
stakeholders.  The best way for us to address such issues as a profession is to explicitly document
exactly what decisions we are making and why, within our own institutional contexts.

 Cal Lee
 University of Michigan
 School of Information
 Phone: 734-647-0505
 http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~calz/
 "The boundary is the best place for acquiring knowledge."
                                      - Paul Tillich, 1930