Re: Renovation Leftovers

Title: RE: Renovation Leftovers

All this talk of renovation reminds me of the time we added a balcony and vomitoria (those entrances coming out of the seating area) to our outdoor Elizabethan Theatre in 1991-1992.  In order to get the bulldozers, etc. into the site we had to get permission from the Oregon SHPO to cut into the old Chautauqau wall dating from 1917. The site of our theatre is within the walls of the third version of the theatre which was on the national Chautauqua circuit.

The day of the groundbreaking, they cut into the wall. Then they roped off the area for safety reasons, but some people were grabbing hunks of the historic wall to take home with them.  I asked a member of our plant crew to get me a piece and please bring it to the Archives.  I thought he would bring me just a little piece, but it was so big he had some trouble carrying it. He brought it into the Archives and put it down.  I think I have only moved it once, except for tripping over it a few times.

Kit Leary
Archivist
Oregon Shakespeare Festival
Kitl@osfashland.org