Latest content update of rbarry.com

Dear Colleagues:

Please excuse cross-postings.

This is to inform you of content additions and site design improvements made in the latest update of the www.rbarry.com website.  As I ran into some temporary technical problems as I was completing the update, I found it necessary to call upon colleague and friend, Mike Steemson <www.caldeson.com> to publish the final portion of the updates to my website, for which I am very grateful.  In that connection, I can also highly recommend a recently added paper on Mike's website: "Global e-Government: What we can learn from other people," under What's New at Caldeson.com <www.caldeson.com>.

The current update of <www.rbarry.com> includes:

CONTENT. Plans for retiring/selling the www.rbarry.com website, and for retiring Rick Barry, some happy statistics for website hits (over 280,000) in 2001....

PLUS:

Several additions that are bound to be of great interest to practitioners, consultants, researchers, educators and students of information studies programs:
-- a new Special Resources page, that features some special sites that I believe will be of interest to our regular visitors.
-- Arnold, Edward, Deputy Director for US Army Records. In what is probably one of the most prophetic arguments in favor of digital records, this (slow loading PowerPoint) presentation was the proposal made by Arnold to Army officials for a comprehensive electronic records management system prior to the September 11, 2001 attack. Ed had just left the Pentagon from an early morning meeting on his way to an outside meeting when he turned on the walkway to the parking lot to observe the terrorists attacking the Pentagon right where his office was. In addition to reflecting on the personal tragedies that brought about, Arnold said: "God only knows what happened to the paper." At the end of this presentation there are extraordinary photographs of the Pentagon attack site and some questions the attack gives rise to.
-- Barry, Richard, Barry Associates, personal reflections on living with technology while traveling down "the garden path" in the opening chapter of Bruce Dearstyne's (Ed.) just published book, EFFECTIVE APPROACHES FOR MANAGING ELECTRONIC RECORDS AND ARCHIVES.
-- Cook, Terry, Prof., University of Manitoba and CLIO Consulting, five papers -- both new and not so new on postmodernism, continuum vs. lifecycle management of records, macroappraisal and the history and future of ARM ideas -- all vintage Cook at his best. Great additions for graduate programs, system designers, practitioners, etc.
-- Dearstyne, Bruce, Prof. University of Maryland, TOC and Editor's Preface to EFFECTIVE APPROACHES FOR MANAGING ELECTRONIC RECORDS AND ARCHIVES, plus opening chapter. Leading thinkers, authors and practitioners in electronic records have excellent chapters in this book.
-- Dollar, Charles, Dollar Consulting, link to his important report on website preservation for the Smithsonian Institution Archives.

SITE DESIGN.  Features that have been added in light of the growing amount and complexity of site content:
-- a Google search engine for both internal site and WWW searches.  This will be a welcomed addition for all users of the website.
-- trying to practice what we preach, there is a new section on "Navigating this website," that will answer site organization questions such as, Where will I find a paper that used to be in the NEW ITEMS section that is not any more?

I am looking for a few excellent papers to further enrich the content of the site on the topics of: personal electronic records (to accompany Adrian Cunningham's outstanding paper on the subject already on the website); local government ER; and business-related electronic records and archives.

I hope that the content and design additions in this update will further upgrade the value of the website to visitors.

Regards,

Rick Barry
www.rbarry.com