Re: New York Archives Partnership Trust

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Gilbertsville Free Library wrote:

> Gentle Colleagues:
>
> Has anyone else received an Invitation to join the Archives Partnership Trust
> [New York State] and a complimentary copy of Vol.1 No. 1 of their magazine
> "New York ARCHIVES ?"
>
> The costs to join are as follows:
>
> Friend                            $35
> Senior Citizen/Student $25
> Collector                       $100
> Scholar                          $250
> ARCHIVIST                 $ 500
> Non-Profit Org.           $  50
> Life Member               $5,000

I did receive this mailing from the New York State Archives Partnership Trust.
I agree that the choice of "archivist" as a category name for a mid-range level
donor was most unfortunate, given the average salaries of most archivists. I do
not think that New York Archives Trust intended to ask working archivists to pay
$500 to support their organization.  I think the trust would be glad to have
real archivists as $35 members. I believe the intent was to allow generous
donors to the Trust, from the non-archival, non-scholar, non-collector community
at large, to join the "archivist"  category of members, a more important
category than either "scholar" or "collector." A comparable, hypothetical zoo
might name membership categories "keepers" "curators" and "veterinarians." If
categories would were aimed at real keepers, curators or veterinarians, the
support base of the zoo would be small indeed.

Steve Johnson
Wildlife Conservation Society
sjohnson@westnet.com
http://www.westnet.com/~sjohnson