Re: National Park archivist

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 08:24:54 -0700, Carol A Edwards <cedwards@USGS.GOV>
wrote:

>Carolyn -
>
>I will be pleasantly surprised if you're able to contact any National Park
>Service
>office via email.  The Indian Trust Accounts issue has resulted in most
>Dept. of
>Interior (DOI) offices being cut-off from email  and Internet access for
>the time being.

to learn more about why Judge Lamberth (he is the federal judge handling the
case) closed down DOI access to the Internet check Monday's RAIN postings as
there were several stories about this case. Basically access was shutdown
because of a lack of computer security. A special master ran tests against
the DOI's firewalls. The tests showed that there were some serious problems
especially with regards to the security of the Indian Trust Accounts. The
testers were able to access the accounts and alter information. Judge
Lamberth was not a happy camper.

Peter Kurilecz
pakurilecz@aol.com