Re: Skirting the dreaded...

Dennis wrote:

> Yeah, but think about the possibilities! Who needs to use "CA" when for a mere $500 you can call
> yourself an ARCHIVIST! ("I pledged my $500, so I can now call myself an ARCHIVIST!" So much for
> graduate school!) I wonder if we could persuade them to create a "CA" category for those who
> REALLY feel the need for those two letters (for a price, of course)...

A lot of people call me an "archivist" even though I'm a rare book librarian. They don't have a clue
about the difference. They just figure, "He deals with old stuff, so he's an archivist." It's
absolutely futile for me to explain to them that it's not fair to REAL archivists to call me an
"archivist," because I don't have that set of qualifications. They never catch on.

Bottom line: If you want to be called an "archivist," become a rare book librarian!   ;->

Cheers!

Eric

--

Eric v.d. Luft, Ph.D., M.L.S.
Curator of Historical Collections, Health Sciences Library

"Be always sure you're right, then go ahead."
                                          -- Davy Crockett
                                [Autobiography, 1834, title page]