Journal of Archival Organization

Dear colleagues,

I would like to share with you below the contents of the first issue of
the Journal of Archival Organization, which is making its way through
production.  This new Haworth Press publication is an international
journal encompassing all aspects of the arrangement, description and
provision of access to all formats of archival materials.  It includes
but is not limited to articles on processing techniques and procedures,
preparation of finding aids, and cataloging of archival and manuscript
collections in accordance with MARC, AACR2, and other rules, standards
and cataloging conventions.  Emphasis will be on emerging technologies,
applications, and standards ranging from Encoded Archival Description
(EAD) and methods of organizing archival collections for access on the
World Wide Web to issues connected with the digitization and display of
archival materials.

Future issues if the Journal of Archival Organization will examine
innovations as they relate to textual and visual records as well as
electronic records and presentations.  Relevant topics include
management and staffing issues relating to archival organizational
functions, specifically arrangement and description of historical
records collections; innovative approaches to methods of intellectual
and physical access and retrieval of historical records and information;
reviews of projects and procedures, standards, and issues in organizing
archival collections for storage and onsite use and availability through
the Internet.  Both research and demonstration topics are appropriate.
The journal also aims to provide reviews of publications and archival
web sites and news from the field.  Formats covered include manuscripts,
printed documents, microforms, photographs and other images, oral
history tapes and transcripts, electronic records, cartographic
materials, architectural drawings, and new and developing electronic
formats.  All aspects of the organization of and provision of access to
archival resources are in the scope of this journal, which brings to the
forefront issues connected with these increasingly important and visible
unique materials and their international audience.

We welcome your contribution to this new publishing venture.  Conference
presentations (national, international, regional, local), and graduate
student research papers submitted for consideration will be reviewed by
members of our editorial board.  We also would like to consider thematic
issues with guest editors.  This would combine two issues into one and
would also be published as a separate monograph by Haworth Press.  Your
ideas, suggestions, and article contributions will make this journal
representative of our profession.  Please feel free to contact me or my
co-editor Ruth Carter.

Journal of Archival Organization Vol. 1, No. 1 (2002)

CONTENTS

?From the Editors: Introducing the Journal of Archival Organization,? by
Ruth C. Carter and Thomas J. Frusciano

?The Archival Imagination of David Bearman, Revisited,? by James L.
Gehrlich

?K-12 Instruction and Digital Access to Archival Materials,? by Matthew
Lyons

?The Impact of EAD Adoption on Archival Programs: A Pilot Survey of
Early Implementers,? by Jennifer A. Marshall

?Union Outreach?A Pilgrim?s Progress,? by James P. Quigel

?Prospecting Virtual Collections,? by Bradley D. Westbrook

?Nuts and Bolts: Implementing Descriptive Standards to Enable Virtual
Collections,? by William E. Landis

?Building Digital Collections at the OAC:  Current Strategies with a
View to Future Uses,? by Robin L. Chandler

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tom

--
Thomas J. Frusciano, University Archivist
Special Collections and University Archives