archives closing

Dear Peter and fellow list members,
The state's budget woes have indeed contributed significantly to the
museum's funding crisis.

Last week I was asked to submit a contingency plan for the archives and
library collections.  My plan identified institutions that would be logical
homes for various components of the collections, i.e., the Norfolk &
Western Film collection would be routed to Virginia Tech Special
Collections Library.  VT is the existing repository for Norfolk and Western
records and their photo collection.  Of course, I spoke with the VT
Archivist before making that recommendation.  I also recommended that the
museum stop accepting donations until funds and staff are restored and I
advised them that Deed of Gift terms regarding return or disposition would
legally have to be honored.  I hope that the Museum will bounce back.

The Museum's Executive Director hopes that the Archives' closing is a
temporary one.  Myself and several staff are being laid off effective of
Feb. 1, 2002.  While I consider various options, I will remain active in
MARAC and on the listserv.  For those who wish to stay in touch, my
personal e-mail address is ddrich5@netscape.net.

Darlene Richardson
Historian & Archivist
Virginia Museum of Transportation