Re: Article in Chronicle of Higher Ed

I felt sympathy for this young woman learning about the work
world but was depressed at a major grammatical error and,
worse, that the Chronicle did not catch it.

Since she states her supervisor said she was doing a good job
at basic tasks, I assume she is progressing as fast as could
be expected in the archival field.  I do know that what we
often need, in every field, is someone who will conscienciously
do the same thing over and over very well with a minimum of
attention from a supervisor.  At the same time, the performance
evaluation should be a time to recognize superior work.

I do not agree with Eric that we exist merely to serve the
needs of researchers if he means only the living ones.  Many
times we are the only force acting to preserve records that
are not valued enough today but that we feel should exist
in the future for unborn researchers.  This includes restricted
access to fragile records as well as saving others from
immediate destruction.

Elizabeth W. Knowlton
Georgia Dept. of Archives and History

>Losing Status: A Former Faculty Member Takes a Staff Job.
This article appeared in today's edition of the Chronicle.

http://chronicle.com/jobs/2002/01/2002012901c.htm

Some sections of the Chronicle require a subscriber id and
password, but since I wasn't asked to sign in, I'm assuming
anyone can see the online article.  It concerns a PhD who,
unable to find a tenured position, took a job in the archives
instead.  It really merits a response or two from people in
our profession.

Joy Kingsolver<