Re: Article in Chronicle of Higher Ed

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Sokolow, Daniel wrote:

> No question, Chris, an article like this should raise certain flags for
> anyone in a supervisory position.  Am I treating my staff with respect?  Are
> they treated as part of the team or not?  Should they be?  Are they bringing
> a fresh perspective to something I've been doing the same way for umpteen
> years?

I wondered if she had ever taken a class in archival methods?  The
"Library Archives" (?) would have had to train her in the most basic
processing skills (and if they had to teach her to actually catalog,
that's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish).  Had she ever been in, or used an
archives before?

This person has a doctorate in American Studies.  My minor is in American
Studies, and it did not involve any course work which would have made me
competent to curate a photographic collection.

There can be advantages to being in a staff position. If I were staff,
instead of non-tenure track, 12 month, small-f, soft-money faculty, I'd
get more than double the time off I have---which I could use to do my own
research projects.

Carole E. Nowicke, Ph.D., M.L.S., C.P.P.
Reference Librarian
Indiana Prevention Resource Center  <http://www.drugs.indiana.edu>
cnowicke@indiana.edu  <http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~cnowicke>
Historian, International Tuba-Euphonium Association
List Owner Dressage-L <Dressage-L@Listserv.Indiana.edu>