Apologia - Life in the Electronic Age

As many of you know, yesterday the My Party virus caused a terrific
replication of emails to the SAA broadcast distribution list.  For this, you
have our deepest apologies.  While the emails did not originate from the SAA
office, nor did the SAA servers play any part in the replication, the virus
managed to attack member address books in a way that compromised the list.
The result was one big mess.  As a precaution we have removed the broadcast
email list from the SAA servers and will not employ that particular system
again.  While I don't want to give up on the goal of establishing a
broadcast email mechanism for our members, I do want to do so in a way that
does not compromise the integrity of the process.  For the near term we
won't employ broadcast email and will not do so again until we can be
absolutely confident that it will be, as much as humanly possible, protected
from these attacks.

Most important, I thank each and every one of you for your gracious
understanding and support.  SAA is a wonderful and supportive community.
The fact that you all weathered that particular email storm with such
equanimity reinforces our regard and respect for you.

The staff and I send you our warmest regards.

Sincerely,
Susan

Susan E. Fox, CAE
Executive Director
Society of American Archivists
527 S. Wells St., 5th Floor
Chicago, IL  60607
312-922-0140
fax:  312-347-1452
sfox@archivists.org
www.archivists.org

The mission of the Society of American Archivists is to serve the
educational and informational needs of our members and to provide leadership
to ensure the identification, preservation, and use of the nation's historic
record.