Re: Article in Chronicle of Higher Ed (long)

> [At one temp job I had, my boss told me that she never gave anyone the
> highest ranking on a
> performance review, no matter how great a job the employee did!].

Jill made me think of the asinine "Performance Reviews" I've had to do in my
various positions (my last job, of course, not this one, naturally 0 : ) ).
For some reason, I always end up writing my own review.  I come up with "Key
knowledge criteria" or some such silliness, and then rate myself.

Naturally, one can't give oneself top marks too often (even if you _have_
done superior work) because that sets the standard either too high for next
year or too low for this past year.  On a five point scale, they want lots
of threes - ergo, all anybody wants to see is average workers.

Sort of reminded me of my brief stint as an engineering major in a basic
chem lab with grad student instructors who spoke no English.  My partner & I
would be heating something up, he'd say "what's the temperature change", I'd
say "I dunno, 1 degree/minute" - "sounds good" and away we went with our
charts.

Since I passed the class and similarly got my raises, neither one seemed to
have any real impact on the way life works.  Though I suspect you should all
be thankful I never did become an engineer.

DS
Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu