Preserving fried mail?

I was just reading the below cited article about cooking the mail to the
Feds, and wondering what the people at NARA, and others who end up with
federal docs, are considering as far as preservation of this mail?
Seems like will present a challenge for conservators and also provide
evidence of an interesting period in our nation's history.

I.E. -- Future researcher: "Hey archivist, why are all these letters
from Dec. 2001 all yellow and crunchy?"

A Recipe for Safe Mail
Letters to U.S. Government Are Culled, Wrapped, Baked

By Steve Twomey
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, January 30, 2002; Page A01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58221-2002Jan29.html

'"It looks like parchment," said Frank Quimby, a spokesman for the
Department of Interior. "Some of it is so dry it crumbles sometimes. On
a more serious note, we're finding that stuff people send us -- disks,
slides, film -- some of it is being damaged beyond the point of
usability."'

Jill
Jill U. Jackson
Archivist