display cases

Sorry for cross- posting!

     The Berkeley Historical Society is planning an exhibit on preservation, in
order to raise money to protect the archives.   We want to display various
examples of damage (mildew, fire damage, acid migration, rusty paper clips), but
we have no usable display cases.

I'm trying to think of a good, CHEAP way of displaying small photos,
papers, and cloth artifacts on the walls.  Has anyone done this?  Do you have
any suggestions?  The best thing I've thought of so far is putting them in mylar

bags, and putting the bags in shadow- box type frames.  I'd probably stick the
bags to the matboard with an appropriate sticky stuff.  What problems might
arise in doing it this way?

Thanks,

Katie Wadell