some clarification on Washington State Library

Dear friends,

I share with others horror at the notion of the closure of the Washington
State Library.  I worked as an intern for the Secretary of State of
Washington in the 1980s and used the library regularly as I did research on
options for campaign finance reform at the state and local level.

Still, it is important to recognize that the Library is not the official
Archives for the state; as in California, these responsibility are divided.
I suspect that the Washington State Library is an independent agency
(http://www.statelib.wa.gov/index.cfm). In contrast the Archives is under
the Office of the Secretary of State in Washington (as in California)
(http://www.secstate.wa.gov/archives/).

Though I am sure there are genealogists who use the collection, it is the
case that the Library's stated mission is to serve the needs of state
employees and legislatures and the needs of libraries in the state.  Still,
the impact on the people of Washington (and on researchers across the
states) will be significant.  As useful overview of the Governor's budget
proposal is provided by the library at
http://www.statelib.wa.gov/wslnews.cfm?NewsID=27

Obviously, one should encourage one's colleagues and friends from Washington
to write the governor and legislators about this issue.

a former Washingtonian,

Lucy Barber

Lucy Barber
Archivist I