scanning brittle books

We are planning a project to scan some brittle books containing color
illustrations, to make these images accessible on a website.  We will be
using a flat-bed scanner. Because the books are so fragile and the pages
have become loose, it is likely that we will have to handle each page
individually.

Has anyone on the list had experience in digitizing brittle books and can
offer some suggestions as to how best to support the pages as they are
placed on the scanner?  For example, would a mylar sleeve, sealed at one
end, provide good support?

Please reply to my e-mail address, and I'll be happy to summarize for the
list.

Sincerely,

Burt Altman, Archivist
Claude Pepper Library