From: Colleen Mason [mailto:Colleen_Mason@LEAHY.SENATE.GOV]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 10:30 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Preserving Glitter

I'm a long time lurker who has never posted.  I am an archivist (the only right
now) in the office of Sen. Patrick Leahy (VT).  Sen. Leahy recently received a
hand-made card from a senior citizens' center.  Because of this card's
attractiveness, we'd like to preserve it and possibly use it as a display item.
We'd like it to be something that people can pick up and look at.  And, given
that it comes from a place  that the senator has a special relationship with, he
will want to save the card long term.  The problem is that it has a lot of
glitter glued to the front that tends to fall off when the card is handled.  I
don't mind getting glitter on me, but I guess some people do.  Also, it could
conceivably lose all the glitter if handled a lot.  Is there a safe way to
preserve the glitter without losing the "touchability" and appeal of the card?
Thanks.

Colleen Mason
Office of Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (VT)
(202) 224-4357