Touching Up Digital Images

Hello Everyone,

Cleaning up, touch up of digital images

Should we touch up a digital image?
Are we trying to preserve information or are we trying to preserve the
item as it is today?  Are we trying to make the item look as it did
fresh off the press 400 years ago or to show how it appears in our
collection today?

Let's say I have a 13 century manuscript.  I wish to digitize the
manuscript to make it more accessible on the internet and help in
preservation by reducing physical use.  Do we are want to touch up the
digital image, remove the yellow, make the letters darker, make the
illuminations brighter or let it stand?

If we want the item to appear as it did 400 years ago, would it not be
better for us to make a printed facsimile and then make the digital
image from the facsimile.  It would look far better then even a touched
up original, or do the researchers wish to be able to pull up the same
book from Indiana University, Florida State University, and Jacksonville
Public Library and see them as they really are today and compare them to
each other?

If the information alone is all that is important and not how the
original really looks and stood up to time.  Then just a postscripts of
the information is all that is really needed.

Jim

James E. Beaven
Project Coordinator/Digital Librarian
Jacksonville Public Library