From: Arel Lucas [mailto:lucas@LIBRARY.UCSF.EDU]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 11:25 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: sonic cleaning machines

Ultrasound is used for cleaning film.  I haven't heard of other uses in
archives.  Visit
http://www.amianet.org/09_Listserv/amiaL.html
and enter "ultrasonic" or "ultrasound" into the this search engine if
you're interested in seeing messages from the AMIA (Association of Moving
Image Archivists)  listserv on this subject.

Arel
----------------
At 05:20 PM 2/5/2002 -0500, Heidi Christein wrote:
>Dear List:
>
>   In speaking with a researcher (a retired dentist) he inquired about
> using "ultra sonic cleaning machines," similar to what dentists use to
> clean their instruments, on items like old silver candlesticks.  I have
> not found any research on this and am asking if any of you have any ideas
> as to pro or con in terms of damage & preservation concerns.
>
>Thanks,
>Heidi Christein
>Jewish Community Archives
>Metro Detroit

Arel Lucas
Project Archivist
Tobacco Control Archives
415/502-6162
FAX: 415/476-4653
Library and Center for Knowledge Management
University of California at San Francisco
530 Parnassus Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840
http://www.library.ucsf.edu/tobacco/