RAIN 0210 Weekly Update: Archives Part 1 (14)

There are 14 stories in this posting.

Seattle Times 01/28/02
Reading the library its last rites?
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134396544_library28m.html

By Autumn Koepp
Seattle Times Olympia bureau
OLYMPIA — If Gov. Gary Locke succeeds in closing the Washington State Library to help
balance the budget, he'll face a host of questions, not the least of which will be: Who'll take over the library's services, and what will happen to its 3 ½ million books and other archival materials?

Forbes 01/29/02
Dueling D-Day Authors: Ryan Versus Ambrose
http://www.forbes.com/2002/01/29/0129ambrose.html

Mark Lewis, Forbes.com, 01.29.02, 4:45 PM ET
NEW YORK - Embattled historian Stephen Ambrose is facing still more charges that he used material from a source without proper attribution--and this time the source in question is Cornelius Ryan, Ambrose's predecessor as America's favorite World War II chronicler.
Ryan, the best-selling author of A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day, died in 1974. Four years earlier, in September 1970, he had written a letter to Ambrose's then-publisher, Doubleday, accusing Ambrose of "a rather graceless falsification which concerns me and my book, The Last Battle." Ryan complained that Ambrose, in a 1970 book about Dwight Eisenhower, had copied two quotations from The Last Battle without attributing them to Ryan's earlier book--and had garbled the quotations to boot.

The Register-Guard 01/29/02
Computers / Hiawatha Bray: Internet history is worth archiving
http://www.registerguard.com/news/20020129/3b.bz.bray.0129.html

By HIAWATHA BRAY
Boston Globe
THE INTERNET forgets.
You'd think it wouldn't. After all, computers never
forget, unless we tell them to. And we do.
Every year, we draw up millions of Web pages and
post billions of comments to Internet message boards. And every
year, much of that information vanishes. We delete it to free up space
on our servers, or maybe the company running the Internet site is
driven out of business. Whatever the reason, the knowledge and
opinions stored in these documents is gone forever.

AScribe Newswire 01/30/02
Bowdoin Honors U.S. Sen. George J. Mitchell:
Senator's 1000-Box Archive Presents Revealing
Portrait of U.S. Legislation
http://www.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/spew4th.pl?fname=20....105617&time=12:08+Pacific+Time&year=2002&public=1

BRUNSWICK, Maine, Jan. 30 (AScribe Newswire) -- "We're the only branch of government that explains itself in writing every time it makes a decision," Supreme Court Justice Byron R. White once said. That's not exactly true. Committees, congressional aids and individual legislators amass mountains of paperwork doing the business of government. While that paperwork may not explicitly explain decisions, it paints a picture of democracy in America. But in order to be of use to historians, journalists or anyone else wanting to learn more, the papers must eventually find a resting place.

The Courier Mail (Australia) 02/04/02
Court files may be destroyed
http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,3707809%5E3102,00.html

Chris Griffith
04feb02
A LARGE number of court files detailing Queensland criminal and civil
cases could be destroyed because the Supreme and District courts
have nowhere to store them.
Ken Toogood, Supreme and District courts registrar in Brisbane, has confirmed the destruction of many court records is under consideration following a report that Queensland State Archives at Runcorn may not store the overflow of its records.

Chicago Tribune 02/03/02
Civil War flags on verge of perishing
Funds are scarce for fixing banners
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/c...30407feb03.story?coll=chi%2Dnewslocalchicago%2Dhed

By Adam Kovac
Tribune staff reporter
Published February 3, 2002
SPRINGFIELD -- As flag-waving fervor swept the country, one of the nation's
largest collections of Civil War battle flags lay rotting in a hallway of an old
state office building.
This spring, the flags, which represent regiments from Illinois' substantial participation in the Union war effort, will be put into archival containers to slow their decay.

San Antonio Express-News 02/04/02
Binding legacy
http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=170&xlc=596510

By Michelle Koidin
Gazing out from the back seat of a station wagon zipping toward Frankfurt, Harry
Mazal leaned forward and widened his eyes into an unbreakable stare. Ahead, on the
left, towering smokestacks belched dense gray plumes. As the car sped past, he
whipped around, transfixed.
It was 1967, and the Mexico City executive had come to Germany on a business trip.
"If I'd been here 25 years ago," he thought, "I might have been going up a chimney."

Billings Gazette 02/04/02
UM gets Crow cultural items from anthropologist’s widow
http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?section=local&display=content/local/librarycrow.inc

The Associated Press
MISSOULA (AP) – The University of Montana, not Yale University or the
Smithsonian Institution, was chosen to receive the lifelong research and photographs
of Crow Indian culture by the late anthropologist Fred Voget, a collection now
on public display.

New York Observer 02/04/02
Why Did MoMA Send Norman Bates To Cold Storage in Hamlin, Pa.?
http://www.observer.com/pages/frontpage3.asp

by Elisabeth Franck
Since mid-January, phone calls to the Museum of Modern Art’s Film Stills Archive, one of the world’s foremost pictorial records of filmmaking dating back to the
1890’s, have been silently transferred to a voice-mail box with this recorded greeting: “Due to the Museum of Modern Art’s ongoing expansion project, the Film Stills Archive has been closed and is no longer accepting orders.”

London Free Press 02/05/02
UWO hits jackpot - if Canadian Tire money counts
http://www.canoe.ca/LondonBusiness/lf.lf-02-05-0053.html

By GREG VAN MOORSEL, London Free Press
"Show me the money." Talk about a phrase most university archivists never expect
to hear in their dusty-dry world of old records.
University of Western Ontario's Robin Keirstead isn't among them.
Not any longer, at least.
Keirstead is UWO's first archivist -- just hired in June -- and these days is tucking
into a treasure trove of Canadian corporate history.
Canadian Tire, one of the country's most storied retail chains, has turned over 71
years of its corporate records to UWO for safekeeping and study.

Blethen Maine Newspapers 02/05/02
Grants to help with historical preservation
http://www.centralmaine.com/news/stories/020205archives.shtml

AUGUSTA — The Maine State Archives has provided 35 grants to community organizations for the preservation of and improved access to historic documents and photographs. The New Century Community Program, funded by the Maine Legislature and the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, enable the Archives to award funds for these projects.

Discovery News 02/06/02
London Museum Reveals Treasures in Cellar
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20020204/london.html

By Jennifer Viegas
Discovery News
Feb. 6 — The Museum of London throws open the doors of its attic full of archaeology treasures on Friday with the launch of the London Archaeological Archive and
Research Center (LAARC).
The center, which includes finds and records from over 4,000 London excavations, also is to be the largest archaeological archive in all of Europe.

Washington Post 02/06/02
Mementos Strengthen A Stricken Headquarters
Pentagon Workers Comforted by Tokens of Support
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29634-2002Feb5.html

By Fredrick Kunkle
These are the things they sent: angels, quilts, poems, pins, candles, teddy
bears and a map of Afghanistan.
Also: boxes, banners, posters, cards, money; recordings of songs and church sermons; a Native American dreamcatcher; a mobile that gave flight to a thousand paper birds.

Bellingham Herald 02/08/02
Hike our history
Group donates records
http://news.bellinghamherald.com/stories/20020208/FrontPage/87648.shtml

Fiona Cohen
There are black-and white photos showing rows of hearty-looking men and women, wearing
knee-high leather boots with a stubble of iron nails sticking out the bottom. A pamphlet, dated 1934, outlines "The Proposed Olympic National Park." An editorial cartoon from 1938 calls for considering Mount Baker and Mount Rainier as venues for Olympic skiing.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va