Edward Steele?

Dear List:

I have a patron who is searching for some lost manuscripts of Edward
Strieby Steele (1850-1942), an editor/botanist at the Smithsonian
(1902-1918) and later for USDA before retiring in 1920.

He writes: "The manuscripts are on the genus Liatris (Asteraceae). He left
behind more
than 630 manuscript names and nearly as many indicated "type specimens" for
the genus.
On the backs of some of his about 15 manuscript descriptions (dated circa
19
teens) he left behind a rough draft essay on the genus (but I can find only
about 15 random pages of the suspected 50-70 of the complete manuscript).

In 1957, a Dr. Charles Leslie Bryner (West Virginia Universitiy) completed
biographical PhD dissertation on Mr. Steele.  In this dissertation, he
quotes
almost verbatium from the text of the the then 30 year old rough draft
described above.  From this I must assume he had seen a more recent draft,
as
he was quoting additional material then was found on the previous draft.

It is this draft that I am looking for!

It is probably titled something to the effect of "Problems with the
Laciniaria (Liatris) scariosa group".  I have already checked with the
Botany
Dept. at the Smithsonian, the Smithsonian Archives and a USDA National
Agriculture Library."

Please drop me a line and I will pass along any leads for this gentleman.
Thank you,
Angela

Angela Todd
Archivist & Research Scholar
Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890
FAX: 412-268-5677
Website: http://huntbot.andrew.cmu.edu