photo collection database

Dear List,

I work for small private archives in NYC. Among others (textual, video, etc.) we have 100,000 (gross) photo collections (75% b/w)including duplicates and triplicates (may be 70,000 or less net).

Previously we had 7 years old DOS photo database and we would like to set up Inmagic or Microsoft Access database for our photo collection.

As a freshman in this group, my friends and I would like to ask all of you a few questions. Your answers will be greatly appreciated and may be sent to this List or to my e-mail dmitriypv@aol.com:

1 – Shortcomings using both programs as photo database (Microsoft Access and Inmagic)

2 – How much possible to import Excel or Access database or list to Inmagic

3 - What types of images Inmagic accepts (JPEG? TIFF, etc)and which ones it “likes more”

4 – Budget – how much we have to pay for Inmagic and should we really do so (budget is important issue for us…)

5 – Scanner – which type of scanner recommended or it is not so important (certain sort of scanner) using Access or Inmagic

6 – What are the main benefits of Inmagic comparing Microsoft Access for active photo collection?

Probably I have asked too much question for first time :) sorry

Many thanks!

Dmitriy Virovets
Archives and Records Dep of AJJDC