Re: The Miscellaneous Box!

I'm not quite sure that I grasp the bring em back theory when it applies
to receipts.  A collection of the records of a golf club, that I processed
several years ago, had every almost receipt for every thing paid they for
from lawn care equipment purchases to dry cleaning bills going back to the end
of the depression.  At the time I felt and still do that in many cases it
is far from necessary to save everything that comes with a collection.
Considerations must be made for the scope of the what the receiving
archives collects as well as how the materials relate to the collection
and the creators history.  That is not to say we should be careless in
what we do.  There should be a good reason why we keep things and why we
decide to pitch them.  I also feel that a good collection will often
retain a few hidden treasures that defy categorization and belong in what might
be termed as miscellaneous.  In the end after consulting with another
archivist with many more years of experience than I, the receipts were
pitched.

FWIW,

Andy Vinovskis

Andris A. Vinovskis