paging practices for mss

To retrieve printed materials from the closed stacks in our special
collections department in an academic library, researchers and all staff
fill out triplicate (carbon) request forms (also called page slips) that are
used to page material from the stacks but are also retained for statistics
and security.  When a page retrieves a book (or anything with a call
number), the page leaves one copy of the page slip on the shelf; one copy of
the page slip is kept at the reading room desk with staff; the third copy
stays with the item at all times while in use.  (There are various retention
schedules for the three copies of the form: one is filed alpha by reader
name; one is filed by call number; one is filed by date of use.)

Those request forms/page slips serve multiple purposes, including statistics
and off-shelf status.

Our reader request forms for manuscripts and archival collections are less
functional and our off-shelf information is less consistent.  We have a
single sheet reader registration/request form that accommodates requests for
multiple boxes or items from a collection, as well as multiple
collections.   The page uses the sheet to retrieve boxes from collections
but does not usually leave anything on the shelf in the stacks when material
is removed.  There is inconsistent practice between staff who use
collections and pages -- some leave an "out card" in the place of a box, but
not all do.  Part of the problem is, of course, that one paging request may
generate removal of multiple boxes.  Occasionally a single item is removed
from a collection, in which case we do complete and file a removal sheet.

I would appreciate hearing descriptions of paging practices for boxes from
mss and archival collections.

What type of reader request forms/page slips do you use for mss?
Are the reader request forms used to page material from closed stacks?
Are they duplicate so you can leave something on the shelf?
Do you leave something for every box retrieved?
Do you use dummy blocks or "out cards" or anything else?

Are staff members allowed to page boxes for their own use (reference, etc.)?

Do staff members complete the same request forms as used by patrons?

Does anybody else have the problem of a box off the shelf and no paper trail
to assist the investigation of its location?

I hope colleagues will share comments with the list.  Sometimes replies
sent  in direct response will generate more discussion.

Thanks for any and all input.
--
L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin
Special Collections