Re: Access Database

Trina-

While we used SIRSI Unicorn and WebCat for our photo digitization project
(because we wanted to go the MARC record route), we are about to launch a
"face lift" of our existing "main" website (i.e., not including the photo
digitization pages) that will include searchable "Access" databases of our
newspapers, county records on microfilm and Arkansas Confederate Home
records.  Look for our new pages to launch by March 1, 2002 at
www.ark-ives.com  (If you go to our site and see a "puzzle" map of Arkansas,
then the new site is not live yet!)

In determining costs, bear in mind that unless you can "program" Access
databases for Internet usage inhouse, you will have to pay someone to do it
for you.  Aristotle.net, our Internet designer, programmed our databases for
us.  I can't tell you the cost because putting the three databases online
was part of the entire "face lift."  Just remember that an "Internet ready"
package might look like it costs more in comparison to Access, but what will
the overall costs be?  So attempt to figure out on the front end what the
"total end costs" will be for each program before you make your
determination.

Also try to include any other "hidden fees" such as maintenance, regular
upgrade and other fees the company might require in order to keep the
product up to date.  One person on our staff failed to purchase one upgrade
of a software she used.  When it was fried by an electrical malfunction (a
kind word for the explosion that fortunately fried just one computer
software program here), we were reportedly out a considerable sum to replace
it instead of what would have been a supposedly nominal fee had she
purchased the previous upgrade!

Also, try to determine (as well as possible) if you think the package you
are choosing will be around for the long haul.  Ask yourself how many people
use it.  And, if not, what are the possibilities for conversion.  In other
words, if the software company goes out of business, will you be able to
easily convert the data to another package (best case scenario), or will you
have to start from scratch (major bummer)?

When I got my first computer here at the AHC, our department used SmartWare,
a DOS package with word processing, database and spread sheet.  When we
converted to Windows Office, I was able to easily convert my existing
databases to Access myself (a good thing since the MIS folks were backlogged
helping those who couldn't convert their own files) by exporting these from
Smart as D-base files.  One reason we chose the MARC record route for the
photos is that it looked like enough folks are invested in it for it to be
around for the forseeable future.

Anyway, just some thoughts I hope will help you make the best decision
possible for your own situation:-)

Lynn
Lynn Ewbank, CA
Arkansas History Commission