MOLD AND MILDEW

All,
I'm not a conservator either, and many of you probably already know this as a matter of course, but I thought I should mention that many mycologists and conservators advise librarians (and others) never to try to clean mold because of its potential toxicity. Certain kinds of mold can compromise one's immune system permanently and devastatingly, and there's no way to tell what kind(s) of mold you have without consulting a mycologist (you can find a professional to diagnose your mold through the AIC: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/aic/). Especially active mold, which is usually fuzzy or slimy (dormant mold will generally be dry and powdery), should never be messed with. There's a good description of the damage mold can cause at http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehp/oehas/mold.html

However, I understand that most folks have limited funds with which to engage a mycologist, and need to seek a cleaning solution now. Whatever the consensus is on *how* to clean, whenever you clean any kind of mold you should contact your facilities staff to fit you for a respirator. The paper dust masks apparently do nothing to protect you from mold spores. Respirators are small devices that are fitted to your face and are will keep you from inhaling the spores. Always wear latex gloves. Avoid cleaning in carpeted areas, as the mold will become trapped in the carpet and can cause more problems later; if possible, clean outside or in a well-ventilated area. Try not to expose yourself to too much mold. Cleaning and salvaging mold-infested books is a tricky, dangerous business and should never be taken lightly.

Also, keep in mind that no matter how much mold you clean off books, if you don't have stable, low temperatures and relative humidity (and using small, portable dehumidifiers to try to lower RH doesn't generally work), the mold will probably come back. There's a reason they call it "dormant mold" instead of "dead mold."

Try http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/mold/ for a comprehensive list of sources and information. Also, concise guidelines are given at: http://preserve.harvard.edu/guidelines/mold.html.

Best,
Amy Filiatreau

Amy Filiatreau