From: Dean DeBolt [mailto:ddebolt@MAIL.UWF.EDU]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 11:39 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: MOLD & MILDEW ON BOOKS

I would be skeptical of the "bleach" solution.   To my knowledge,
bleach adds acidity to the paper materials and I've never seen
this solution in any of the archives readings that I've done on
preservation.   Can someone else on this list speak to the
"correctness" of this suggestion?

Here, we use these "handywipes" which are lightly alcohol impregnated
'tissues" -- just damp enough to wipe away mold and dirt, and with rapid
evaporation do not hurt or affect the materials.   This may not be enough
to actually kill the spores, but we do maintain humidity and temperature
control.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338