MLS degree a joke, or is it media credibility?

I don't think credibility, sound research or integrity matter much anymore
as criteria for judging the worthiness of a piece for publication in the
news or op/ed media. If it can stir up controversy instead of reflect
mainstream opinion and values, if it relies on hype and emotion rather than
logic and reason, if it is sensational rather than bland, all the better
reason to run it because people will be motivated by curiosity to pick up
the paper or turn to that channel to see what the fuss is about. The joke is
really that so many people put up with this nonsense instead of ignoring
such shoddy journalism in favor of media that has proven its reliability.

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086