Re: MLS degree a joke, or is it media credibility?

<The joke is really that so many people put up with this nonsense instead of ignoring such shoddy journalism in favor of media that has proven its reliability.>

And which media would that be?

I remember my shock at the lack of veracity in reporting on the Iranian revolution at the end of the 70s.  I have never trusted the US media since.  There we were in Tehran in the middle of the revolution, bringing in Time and Newsweek to work and having "Friday funnies" laughing at the ridiculous statements that were being made.  First of all, for a couple years before they caught on, they entirely missed the fact that the revolution was coming, when anybody who spoke the language could see signs of it (maybe not the form it took, but you knew a big change was coming).  Then they had scary stories about Americans holing up in their houses and having to have passwords to get in, etc., etc.  I guess the reporters flew in for a week, never learned the language, got all their information from Iranian government personnel or people they managed to find who spoke a little English, snapped a few pictures of big crowds, went back home,  and published the whole mess.  Their "work" totally disabused me of the idealistic views of journalism I had held before that.  The "journalism" I see in daily papers across this country these days is execrable and really is hilarious, except that it is tragic.

Student newspapers are even worse.  Most of the stuff in the ones we have here is useful for the bottom of a birdcage and not much else.  It's not worth making your hypertension worse by taking any of it seriously.  So I am just doing what I did in Tehran - enjoying the Friday funnies.

Fred Lautzenheiser