From:   Michael Tarabulski [mailto:tarabuls@uidaho.edu]
Sent:   Monday, March 04, 2002 11:46 AM
To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject:        Re: bleach and mildew

Uh, geez guys, maybe I don't know nothin' from nothin' but I recently
discovered an old mold problem on some jazz of ours books and took a look on
the net (after looking in Ritzenthaler) and found this

http://www.nedcc.org/plam3/tleaf39.htm

But maybe the advice there on not using a dilute solution of bleach has been
supplanted.  Seems like it would drive the mold into the fibers, though. The
mold on some of the books here is already firmly enough embedded in the
paper and the cloth covers.  Nothing I've read tells me that they will clean
up like new. Might use the dilute solution to clean the area where the books
sat. (I've used alcohol of two types: some to clean these surfaces and some
to drown my sorrows at the ruination of a few great books). Still, I trust
Ritzenthaler and this NEDCC document until better advised.  Are they not the
experts?

Michael "Not a Mycologist but still a Fun Guy" Tarabulski

Archivist
International Jazz Collections
Lionel Hampton Center
530 S. Asbury Street, Suite 4