Digital Copiers - Summary

There might be more, but I'll summarize what I have now.  Several responses
were offlist, so those will be most helpful to others, I imagine.

1) One respondent had experience with a Sharp brand copier, and said while
the extra grayscale levels meant great copies of photos, the machine took a
very long time to warm up and became unreliable when high-volume work was
needed.  They went back, in the end, to an analog machine.

2) Digital machines only need to scan once & the image is held in memory, so
if you need multiple copies, you only have to do one pass with the scaning
head, reducing light exposure to fragile materials.

3) Digital copies run cooler than analog - less heat on the materials.

Paul Bergeron's response went listwide, so I won't repeat it, though the
idea of networking the copier is VERY intriguing, for all the reasons Paul
listed.

For the record, I haven't much choice in this.  The System has signed a deal
with a vendor (I will share who publicly if I get the OK from the
higher-ups) and I'm getting a new machine whether or not I wanted one,
though I don't love what I have now.  The nice part is I will have some
choice - the vendor will be coming in to see me & review my copying needs,
so I'll have the chance to ask for doohickeys & thingamajigs, assuming I can
afford 'em.

More will follow if it seems appropriate, and thanks as always to those
ever-ready respondents.

DS

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu