Re: Scanner advice

I just ordered a scanner for my unit after a bit of research.  We needed
it primarily to create reference copies of slides and negatives that are
pulled from multimedia fonds for preservation purposes.  It fits most of
your qualifications.

The Epson 1650 Photo has built in capability to do 35mm negs and slides
and if you also buy the associated transparency adapter it will do up to
4x5's.

Where it doesn't meet your qualifications is in the 11x17 size.  It will
only do 8.5x11". If you also want to include your requirement of
"reasonably priced" I don't think that is possible to find one that will
do 11x17 unless your interpretation of reasonably priced is in the
1000's :-).

Further on the 1650 Photo...  There is a 1650 (without the Photo after
the name) but it doesn't come with the built in 35mm capability (which
would be okay as long as you bought the transparency adapter) however
the Photo version comes with extra graphic software.
It was rated an "editor's choice" in reviews by both ZDNet and C-Net and
I think one of the MAC magazines as well.

The cost for both the scanner and the transparency adapter should run
you about US$300. Specs are on the Epson website.

Joe LeClair
Archivist - Graphic Materials Unit
Backlog Project (Regina)
Saskatchewan Archives Board