replying to postings

Hello all.

This is very timely as I recently asked a question of the list and received a number of very thoughtful responses in return.  Many thanks to all of you who did.  It has given me a number of things to think about and a variety of options to solve my problem.

 But is the lack of auto reply that led me to post my question in the first place.  There were no archived answers in the archives listserv archives.  Perhaps in this instance there haven't been may questions asked about political buttons, but since the auto reply went away, I've found the quality of the archives has suffered due to responses going directly to individuals.  The way I see it is that I may not be interested in a particular topic today and may ignore a post for that reason, but I very well may have that problem down the road and would like the benefit of the archives archives to help me out.

I agree with Peter that the fuction of the list is to share information and there is precious little being shared at the moment.  Lots of questions, few answers made public.  I'm happy to make the answers to my query public if anyone is interested and I hope that if the listserv itself doesn't change to auto reply that the members whose information is invaluable will hit reply to all when answering queries.

Thanks again.

Diane Martz
Heinz Family Archivist