From: Automatic digest processor <LISTSERV@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
To: Recipients of ARCHIVES digests <ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 5:00 PM
Subject: ARCHIVES Digest - 20 Mar 2002 to 21 Mar 2002 (#2002-81)

> Topics of the day:
>
>   1. Stealth asteroid nearly blindsides Earth, Criticism of Giotto
Restoration,
> [...]
> ___
> _____________________________
> **  Museum problems are closer to home
> Its excessive caution in rejecting the opportunity last year to exhibit t=
> he
> Dead Sea Scrolls did its credibility no favours
>
> **  World trade in bodies is linked to corpse art show
> As shock art it's hard to beat but behind the controversial travelling
> corpse show, Body Worlds, just opened in London , lies a morbid
> international trade in cadavers
>
> **  Copper ingots from wreck return to Cornwall
> Five ingots of Cornish copper are returning to their home county after ly=
> ing
> on the seabed for 120 years
>
> **   Clamour over Il Duce's Bed
> Part of Benito Mussolini's private compound in Rome was opened up as a
> museum and is already ruffling feathers in a country still trying to come=
> terms with its fascist past
>
> **   This Week's GLOBAL MUSEUM CAPTION CONTEST
>
> **  "Longfellow: The Man Who Invented America" opens at The Center For Ma=
> ine
> History Museum at Maine Historical Society
>
> **  Australian Archaeology Conferences 2002
>
> **  Archaeology and Heritage in Flanders, Belgium: A Multi-Cultural Europ=
> ean
> Past
>
> **  Midwest Archives Conference spring meeting
>
> +++++ PLUS +++++
>
> The latest museum JOBS,  BOOKSHOP,  RESOURCES, Hot JOB TIPS, great people
> posting their RESUMES, FORUM, Cheap and reliable world TRAVEL,  MALL, Mus=
> eum
> Accredited Courses, a Health Store, Traditional Toy Store, Products &
> Services, Classical Music store, and a Jazz Emporium.
> http://www.globalmuseum.org
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 08:13:02 -0600
> From:    Heidi Dressler <heidid@WICHITA.LIB.KS.US>
> Subject: items all taken
>
> Thanks everybody for all the interest. I have found new homes for all of
my
> items.
>
> Heidi Dressler
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:55:17 -0500
> From:    "Sokolow, Daniel" <DSokolow@NSHS.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Paperless Stuff
>
> Good catch, Jim.  I suggest all of us, whether or not we usually read RAIN
> type articles, give this one a once over.  My only caveat with the review
is
> the end, where the reviewer suggests we not _keep_ as much paper, which I
> would qualify by making sure at least the Archives of the institution
keeps
> the important ones, even if nobody else needs to.
>
> DS
>
> ______________________________________
> Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
> David Taylor Archives
> North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp
;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;v.

href="mailto:kbjohnson@louisville.edu";>kbjohnson@louisville.edu</A></DIV></B
> [...]
> automation system for our institution. The committee is hoping to select
> a product which will manage both the library's and the archives'
> functions. We have found several examples of library RFP's to use as
> models for our own RFP. I'm hoping to locate a RFP which specifically
> addresses an archives module. If anyone is aware of such an RFP, or has
> a copy of one which they would be willing to share, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>
> Paul Leatherdale
> Archivist
> The Law Society of Upper Canada
> Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen Street West
> Toronto, Ontario   M5H 2N6
> phone: (416)947-3320; fax: (416)644-4884
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:40:01 -0500
> From:    Jennifer King <Jking@CO.ARLINGTON.VA.US>
> Subject: Cold Storage question
>
> Hello Listserv,
>
> I am in need of some expert advice.
>
> We are planning on purchasing a frost-free freezer for the storage of our
=
> color and black/white negatives and color prints.  The planned settings =
> are about 30 degrees Fahrenheit and a relative humidity of 40%.  My =
> question concerns the control of the RH. I doubt a standard freezer unit =
> purchased from Sears will have humidity control.  If the RH is too high =
> will lowering the temperature be enough to get the RH under control?  Does
=
> anyone know about humidity control systems for freezer units?
>
> We will have the material in standard acid free boxes and in heavy-duty =
> freezer bags. Is this enough to act as a humidity barrier?
>
> Any advice and information will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Jennifer King
> Archivist
> Arlington County Public Library
> Virginia Room
> 703-228-7696
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:53:48 -0500
> From:    Daniel Sokolow <DSokolow@NSHS.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Cold Storage question
>
> Can't remember the details, so I'm going to suggest you check the list
> archives, but somebody wrote a while back that laboratory supply companies
> offer the right kinds of freezers at cheaper prices than archival supply
> companies.  They might have additional features, including the RH control
> you were looking for.
>
> The other thing I remember is that you need to be careful when removing
> items from the freezer to see to it they are brought up to room
temperature
> slowly, I think to prevent condensation.  Might want to check the archives
> on that one too.
>
> DS
>
> ______________________________________
> Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
> David Taylor Archives
> North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System

reference to archives--which I hope I didn't get quite right.  It sounded
like he thinks archives are constantly arranging, rearranging, organising
and reorganising. <g>

<cnowicke@INDIANA.EDU>
> Subject: Re: oral history question
>
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Daniel Sokolow wrote:
>
> > I've had a request for a copy of an oral history interview.  The subject
> > asked that he be notified before anyone is given a copy of the
interview.

> Asked on the consent form, or verbally?
>
> > Am I clear to make this interview available (the request is from another
> > repository), since his condition only mentioned that he needed to be
> > contacted, or must I approach any heirs?
>
> What does it say on the consent form?  The promise if verbal was only to
> the subject, not to keep tracking down his relatives for the rest of the
> century. Anyway, even if you DID contact a relative in regard to this
> copy, once that item is out of your shop, you have no control over it
> anyway.  A researcher could find it so exciting that they copy it and give
> it to their 15 best friends...
>
> I try to stress to people that they're not telling their story to ME,
> they're telling their story to the world, as there's no way of preventing
> anyone who uses the collection from reading it.  The objective is to make
> these items accessible and to get them used, not for the person to
> inform me personally.
>
> My sympathies!
>
> Carole
>

> Carole E. Nowicke, Ph.D., M.L.S., C.P.P.
> Reference Librarian
> Indiana Prevention Resource Center  <http://www.drugs.indiana.edu>
> cnowicke@indiana.edu  <http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~cnowicke>
> Historian, International Tuba-Euphonium Association
> List Owner Dressage-L <Dressage-L@Listserv.Indiana.edu>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:45:38 -0500
> From:    "Sokolow, Daniel" <DSokolow@NSHS.EDU>
> Subject: Re: oral history question
>
> To clarify, he asked in writing that he be notified, and it says nothing
> about anybody else in his family, circle of friends, or zip code.
>
> DS
>
> ______________________________________
> Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
> David Taylor Archives
> North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
> 155 Community Drive
> Great Neck, NY 11021
> mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu

dating
> all the way back to 1993.
>
> I sorely miss his long expositions. 8-(
>
> Peterk
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:31:52 -0600
> From:    "Moser, Dennis" <dmoser@LEE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: (different) evil lurker wakes to pick a nit

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1D106.AC045AA0
>
> OH MY GOSH! Carole, WHOSE turn is it to be watching Michael McCormick?!?!
>
> Dennis "It must be Spring, 'cause the humidity's returned to The Island"
> Moser
>
> > ----------

charset=3Diso-8859-=
> 1">
> <XETA NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version
5.5.2653.12"=

> <TITLE>WTC Audio</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am trying to locate audio materials,
par=
> ticularly early audio, concerning the World Trade Center. While I have
call=
> ed, spoken to and visited a number of obvious collections, I thought it
mig=
> ht still be useful to send this query out.&nbsp; The public radio
documenta=
> ry producers I am trying help are also interested in audio from film and
vi=
> deo.&nbsp;&nbsp; The buildings were formally dedicated on April 4,
1973.</F=
> ONT></P>
>
> <P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks for your consideration.</FONT>
> </P>
>
> <P><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">Andy
Lanset,=
>  Archivist</FONT>
> <BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">WNYC
Radio<=
> /FONT>
> <BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">1 Centre
St=
> reet </FONT>
> <BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Bookman Old Style">New York,
N=
> Y 10007</FONT>
> <BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Bookman Old
Style">212-669-468=
> 5</FONT>
> <BR><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Bookman Old
Style">212-553-062=
> 9 FAX</FONT>
> </P>
>
> </BODY>
> </HTML><HTML><BODY><P><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3D"Arial"
size=3D2></FONT>=
> </BODY></HTML>
> ----PTCP_0000b35c04b6d207d2--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:01:03 -0600
> From:    Lynn Ewbank <lynn.ewbank@MAIL.STATE.AR.US>
> Subject: low quality digital files and prints
>
> I am beginning to receive donations of low resolution digital prints and
> files.  One I received this week was interesting in that it is our first
> "hispanic" image.  Unfortunately, there appears to be a strange pink stain
> on the image.  And that is only one problem I would note if I were doing
QC

listserv@listserv.muohio.edu=20=

>      http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html=20

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 17:08:10 -0600
> From:    Karen Wagner <kwagner@NOTES.STATE.NE.US>
> Subject: Re: Spring
>
> Spring has sprung,
> the grass is rizz,
> I wonder where
> the ...... is?
>
>  'flowers', I think.  At least that is how my Mother says it.  However,
she
> is notorious for making up her own words if she can't remember the right
> ones. :-}
>
> (And after casting a vote for "reply to the list", I return to
lurking....)

> Karen I. Wagner
> Capitol Archivist
> Nebraska State Capitol
> 402-471-0444
> kwagner@notes.state.ne.us
> http://www.capitol.org
>
> Mailing Address:
> DAS/State Building Division, Capitol Group
> 521 S. 14th Street, Suite 500
> Lincoln, NE 68509
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:11:22 -0800
> From:    Kit Leary <kitl@OSFASHLAND.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Spring

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1D12D.B76AFC60
>
> Flowers is my recollection too.  Kit Leary

My
> assistant often remarks on the investigative quality inherent in archival
> work, yet I'm clueless in the catacombs of the archival list.  And do we
all
> live in archival catacombs, or only the basement archivists, with their
dead
> records? (And if one were to place a PC in the catacombs, would it them
have
> Windows?)
>
> Holly Hodges
> who plans to spend some time on the boardwalk this weekend
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:53:39 EST
> From:    Holly Hodges <FHHodges@AOL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Spring
>
> In a message dated 3/21/02 4:56:20 PM, cflynn@FNA.FSN.UIDAHO.EDU writes:
>
> <<
>
> Spring has sprung,
>
> the grass is rizz,
>
> I wonder where
>
> the ...... is?
>
>  >>

> For an archival twist you may want to try "mildew" (I'm looking at the
> Houston perspective which may not be the same as say, New Mexico's; or for
> Frank Burke version, you may want to consider "Backlogue" or Prologue"
>
> Holly Hodges
> Texas Gulf coast

> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:03:19 -0800
> From:    Chris Flynn <cflynn@FNA.FSN.UIDAHO.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Archival catacombs and dead records
>
> If you drop an Archivist and nobody is there to here will she/he make a
> noise?
>
> Chris

from