Architectural plans

In the case of architectural plans, I think we have to step outside of our academic history orientation for a bit.  If you are a workman and are digging into a wall or opening up a sidewalk you want to be damned sure you know what's in there.  It has nothing to do with an overview of the architectural history of the institution (which is nice too) and everything to do with personal safety of workmen and avoidance of disasters.  If the archives doesn't have room to keep the detailed plans, then arrangements should be made for someone else to keep them (all of them).  Buildings, especially in the urban environment, and particularly medical buildings, are very complex and there are all sorts of tunnels, old vacuum systems, wiring, built-in machinery, and (particularly dangerous in terms of disaster possibilities) sewer connections, water supply lines, and gas lines, often old/unused.  I would make every effort to make sure the plans (the more detailed the better), no matter how old or seemingly out-of-date, are kept in a safe location.

In our institution, the Archives only holds "historical" ones similar to what you mention - overall building plans and so forth (and ours are copies) - but the Construction Management Dept. has all the others, from the beginning to the present.  A big problem are old buildings that the institution has purchased and for which the plans are missing.  Even for demolition you have to know where utility connections and such are.

Of course my personal interest is the architectural history of the institution, but in this case, the practical interest must be kept in mind at all times.  In the case of architectural records, you are just as likely to be asked where the sewer was under a house that was demolished 10 years ago, as who the architect of the new building is.  Luckily, we can refer all such inquirers to the right place, and the plans have been carefully preserved.

Detailed architectural records of all kinds are particularly necessary when your institution is constantly tearing down, building, and renovating.  Sometimes they just want to know what the material on a particular wall surface is.  And beware the JCAHO!  They will ask you ANYTHING at accreditation time!

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Foundation