research fellowships

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about fellowships in the archives.  We have recently been given a donation by a member who wants to establish two annual fellowships for individuals wishing to conduct research in our archives.  The money is not significant?-probably $1500 for a "Senior Fellow" and $1000 for a "Fellow."  I have been asked to come up with some criteria for awarding these fellowships.  One detail I am considering is the fact that the award will likely go to somebody who is already conducting research here, since the stipend is probably not significant enough to be the reason that attracts someone to researching here.

Does anyone out there have any set policies about awarding fellowships (especially that you'd be willing to share)?  What do you expect to get in return?  Our stipend isn't large enough to demand a serious body of work be written here, but clearly I am interested in seeing our Archives utilized extensively, and cited as a source, etc.  What are the criteria for qualifying for such a fellowship?  Do you emphasize time spent, or other measurable factors?

Robin Z. Waldman
Acting Archivist and Librarian

Jewish Museum of Maryland
15 Lloyd Street