Proposed Conference on History of Records and Recordkeeping

[Please excuse multiple postings.]

Call for Expression of Interest

A Working Conference on the History of Records, Records Keeping and
Archives

This is a request for expressions of interest in attending a two-day
conference to explore work in progress, theoretical perspectives,
needs and opportunities in the broad area of the history of records,
records keeping and archives. The scope would be international and
all time periods would be included. The conference would take place
at the Faculty of Information Studies, University of Toronto,
Ontario, Canada, most likely on a Friday and Saturday in early
October 2003.

The ad hoc planning committee needs to know the extent of interest in
attending this conference to gauge whether it is feasible to proceed
with serious planning. Should there be real interest, we will
immediately seek hotels and meeting rooms and begin developing a
programme and special events. Registration would be modest, in the
neighbourhood of $100.00 Canadian, and we think we can secure
reasonable accommodation near the University. The registration fee
would support the conference and the publishing of many papers. We
will also be seeking other funds for this international meeting.

We would also like to know if you would be willing to take an active
part in the conference, by presenting a paper, participating in a
panel, chairing a session or acting as a commentator. We realize that
funding would be an issue for many at a distance from Toronto;
however, at this stage it is your interest, willingness to
participate and potential papers we need to hear about. Only this
information will allow us to determine the best way forward.

Please notify the committee of your interest now and no later than
April 13. We would be grateful if you would indicate if you are able
to offer a paper - the specific topic is not at all necessary, but it
would help us to know of the area of your research. Responding at
this stage implies no commitment on your part, but we need to know
more about the real interest in this
event before we embark on serious planning.

To communicate your interest, please contact Heather MacNeil at
hmacneil@interchange.ubc.ca, or Philip Eppard at
pbe40@csc.albany.edu, or Barbara Craig at craig@fis.utoronto.ca.

Philip B. Eppard
Dean, School of Information Science and Policy
University at Albany, State University of New York
Phone: 518-442-5115    Fax: 518-442-5367