Re: Professional couriers for archival items?

> I have often wondered who transports priceless art objects?  That must be
> done with great secrecy...I thought one of the major moving companies had
> special unit for doing such moves.
>
> Sharon Lee Butcher

    I like the stories (urban tales?) surrounding couriering priceless
objects.  The late archivist Brother Dennis Sennet, used to tell students
about how the Book of Kells were transported to the U.S. for the Metroplitan
Museum show (1980s?) in NY.  He claims they were carefully crated and
carried on board a commercial jetliner with a non-uniformed courier and
taxied to the Met -- in two Macy's shopping bags.  I guess the lesson is
that sometimes "in plain sight" is the most obscure of secrets.
    Then there is the transport of Pennsylvania's original 1660s Charter
under King Charles II which came to Philly's Conservation Center for Art &
Historic Artifacts from the capital under motorcade escort of a half dozen
state trooper cruisers with flashing lights and sirens blaring messing up
traffic for hours...
Does anyone have any other tales of transport?

F. Michael Angelo
University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian
Thomas Jefferson University
Scott Memorial Library
1020 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107