"Archive" vs "Archives"

Hospitality Industry Archives & Library

Students in my graduate class on archival management are asking for clarification.  It seems that there are no clear guidelines on the usage of archive vs. archives, not even in the book  A Glossary for Archivists, Manuscript Curators, and Records Managers.  The students' reading assignments from the Archival Fundamental Series use both forms inter-changeably, even when referring to a single subject collection.

I use the plural form of the word because we have multiple number of separate collections on over 40 different hospitality companies.  However, when we only had one collection from the office of Conrad N. Hilton, founder of Hilton and Hilton International Hotel corporations, I used "archive" in the singular form.

I figure with over 2000 members on this listserve that perhaps we could get some good answers.

Many thanks for your input.   Cathleen Baird, Houston, TX