Re: Professional couriers for archival items? Why not FedEx

Good morning from Houston's Hospitality Industry Archives.

I have used FedEx for all archival shipping with great success.  Art Services International of Houston, Texas was mentioned in a prior message.  It is a art packing company.  When I need to ship bronze relief portraits, I take art work or artifacts to Art Services International to have wooden crates built.  I leave a FedEx form with them and then notify FedEx to pick up the items.

This system has worked beautifully each time when I have had to ship artifacts that have been on loan for exhibits.  Unfortunately, we do not have sufficient funding for me to accompany the artifacts or bronze portraits to their destinations.  FedEx has an excellent tracking system.

However, if I had an artifact that is categorized as a 'national treasure,'  it would be a different matter.  I would still use an art shipping company to package fragile items for shipping, but I would accompany the artifact(s) to the destination.

Cathleen Baird

Cathleen Baird, M.A., Director & Archivist
Hospitality Industry Archives
229  C.N. Hilton Hotel & College St., UH
Houston, TX 77204-3028

Tel: 713.743.2470 Fax: 713.743.2581 E-mail: CBaird@uh.edu
The Hospitality Industry Archives are located on the second floor of the Hilton Hotel  & Conrad Hilton College South Wing.  A map to the  Hilton Hotel & College as well as floor plan of the complex are available on the web at http://www.hrm.uh.edu/cnhc/help/maps/floorplans.asp.