WOMEN'S ARCHIVES MAPPING PROJECT DIRECTORY

Dear Colleagues,

The Women and Leadership Archives at Loyola University Chicago is pleased to announce that the Women's Archives Mapping Project Directory is now available on its web site at:

http://www.luc.edu/orgs/gannon/archives/donordirectory.html

This directory, still in its infancy, contains information on archives in the United States with significant holdings relating to women. The directory can be searched by organization name, city, state, and keyword.

In our ongoing efforts to provide the most complete directory possible, a form is available on the website to submit data for those who did not previously participate in the survey and for those who wish to update their information.  We would like to extend special thanks to those repositories that previously submitted information and to encourage those who have not yet submitted their data to do so.  It's no too late to be included!

This directory was made possible by a seed money grant from Irene Tinker, a member of the National Council for Research on Women.  Inspired by an international effort begun in the Netherlands to map archives worldwide, Dr. Tinker envisioned a project to map archives in the United States with strong holdings relating to women and women's organizations, especially those with an active interest in documenting the women's movement since the 1960s. The main purpose of the grant was to aid potential donors in more easily identifying archival repositories to which their papers could be donated.  An equally important side benefit is to help researchers in locating relevant material for research relating to women.

Teresa Yoder, former part-time archivist with the Women and Leadership Archives, did preliminary research, designed the forms, and conducted the original solicitation for the mapping project.  We are very grateful to Kathy Young, our new archivist, who has been invaluable in bringing the project to fruition.  To Loyola's Information Systems we also extend special thanks.

If you have further questions, please contact:

Valerie Gerrard Browne, Director/Archivist
Women and Leadership Archives
Gannon Center and  University Libraries
Loyola University Chicago
Sullivan - 200