Re: Self Censorship & the Web

>some people have said that if it was on the Web, it could be considered
>child pornography. Do you believe this is an over reaction?  Would it be
>best to not put it on the Web or edit the image by blocking out their
>chests?

I do think this is an over reaction. It seems as though the people that
have said that this picture has no place on the web have somehow
imposed a sexual context onto it. Your posting this picture
can be done tastefully, professionally and artfully, since it will be
presented in such a way (from what you wrote) that perfectly
contextualizes it. Its pure documentary nature offers the viewer the
context. The famous Hiroshima picture of the girl running from the
devastation, she too had no shirt on. I have heard no arguement that this
picture is pornographic and I have viewed it on the web several times on
several websites.

Blocking the chests out, I think, will only make the picture
uncomfortable, and in fact will recontextualize it... into something
sexual.

Good luck,
Molly Wheeler
Student, University of Texas